I'm working on dis-infecting a Windows 7 PC where the user opened a ZIP email attachment.
All the symptoms exactly match this description of the "Data Recovery" scareware, including these messages:
- Windows detected a hard disk problem A potential disk failure may coss loss of files, applications and documents stored on the hard disk. Please try not to use this computer until the hard disk is fixed or replaced.
- Critical Error RAM memory reliability is extremely low. This problem may cause system failure
See the end of this post for details of the machine spec.
I first want to boot the computer in Safe Mode, so that I can run various tools such as TDSSKiller.
Trying to boot in Safe Mode
As the computer starts up, it offers the following options:
- Del BIOS Setup
- Tab Display BIOS POST Message
- F8 Boot Menu
- Alt+F2 Ez Flash 2
I hoped/expected that pressing F8 would get me into the Advanced Boot Options screen, as for to choose Safe Mode.
However, hitting F8 during start-up only shows the following:
Please select boot device:
- CDROM:P0-TSSTcorp CDDCDW SH-S22
- RAID:Intel DATA
up-arrow and down-arrow to move menu selection
- ENTER to select boot device
- ESC to boot using defaults
My question: Is there something about my machine configuration (see below) that is preventing the Advanced Boot Options menu from showing?
- C: drive is SSD - Intel SSDSA2M160G2GC
- Other partitions are of a RAID 1 pair
- Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
- OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit