I have posted this question before, but there are some new takes on it now. I have some work documents linked to Excel, they automatically update when I open them. Initially the problem only happened after around 10 saves of the document, now it happens every second save. I have created a new document in word and it does not happen now but if I create a document from the one that has this issue, even a blank one not linked to Excel, it will take a few saves with changes, then it turns read only again. I have tried everything I read on line and nothing has helped. I got rid of all auto saves, background save, set the folder to not be read only (but it sets itself back telling me there is a file inside that is not changing, but its not the ones I am using anyway). If I email the file to someone else, they have the same problem with it. If I make a new file and from scratch, it starts up again eventually. I make these saves about 20 times a day and all I can do is save as a different name and then delete the old one and resave as the old name, its so frustrating!