Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When I'm changing a Word document in Word 2010, I'd like to get a small black bar at the border of the page. I don't want to have any balloons or colors - just the final text and a small black bar at the border of the page.

I know how to track changes, but I did not manage to get this particular formatting. Any ideas?

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Word 2010 gives some control over the display of change-tracking information.

In the Review tab of the ribbon, click the triangle beside Track Changes, and select "Change Tracking Options".

Try changing the following:

  1. Insertions: to (none)
  2. Deletions to (hidden)

I think that should do what you want, but if not, then you can experiment with the other display options.

See this page for a screen-shot of the "Track Changes Options" dialog.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.