Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a HP Ultrium 960 tape drive, but I can't figure out what the SCSI interface is called.

The white paper doesn't mention it

According to this site it is called "Ultra320 LVD SCSI".

I can't find any PCI-E controllers with a "Ultra320 LVD SCSI" interface.

Does it go under a different name?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Probably cause its a really old interface that came out a while ago - Ultra320 is the interface itself, while LVD refers to the signalling method, and SCSI is a pain in the rear when it comes to varients.

The specific controller you are looking for SHOULD be called a Ultra320 host bus adaptor, though you need to be careful to get a PCI-E rather than a PCI-X adaptor (of course, if you're messing with tape drives, you would know this)

Edit: apologies for the google link, but that was the most time-insensitive way to link the specific class of device i could think of. I'll update it to something less.. googly when i can find a better link

share|improve this answer
I am seriously glad that you mentioned PCI-E vs. PCI-X. I was about to get a PCI-X card. Thanks for pointing that out. – Sandra Oct 17 '11 at 13:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.