Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have Windows 7 on my computer. I want two user accounts: 1. Admin and 2. Normal User

I want to prevent the normal user from:

  • Installing programs
  • Using USB
  • Watching videos on Facebook or YouTube, (they can browse Facebook, but can't watch videos in the browser)
  • Using Facebook chat

How can I do this on my local computer with Windows 7?

Can somebody also name the best parental lock software which can block Facebook chat ?

share|improve this question

migrated from Oct 18 '11 at 17:54

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

-installing programs

If they aren't an administrator, then they can't install programs.

-Using USB

Depends on what you are trying to disable. If you are trying to disable USB drives like a flash drive or other external drive, then Group Policy is a good way to do that. You can learn more about that here.

-Watching videos on facebook or Youtube, (they can browse facebook, but can't watch video in browser)

Since youtube is pretty much just for watching videos, I assume you can get away with just blocking the whole site. I can't say about facebook videos or chat. You may have to get some parental control software to do that.

share|improve this answer
Thanx vcsjones. – Sohail Oct 19 '11 at 5:04
Any Idea which parental lock software will suit my situation, I found KidsWatch but seem like it just monitor chat session, I want it blocked. – Sohail Oct 19 '11 at 5:06
I don't have domain, its just a single computer, can I apply policies to different users ? I cant find it, I don't have Active Directory. – Sohail Oct 19 '11 at 15:45

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.