What are the advantages/disadvantages of using an 'all in one mini pc' as a NAS machine rather than a small dedicated NAS box
For example, these two cateogries:
"Zotac Intel Atom D525 1.8 GHz Dual CoreAll-in-One Mini-PC with NVIDIA ION GPU and NM10 Express Chipset ZBOXHD-ID40-U"
"QNAP TS-110 1-Bay Portable Network Attached Storage" *
My intended purpose
- two separate "NAS boxes" one at home, one at parents using cron and rsync to keep the two in sync
- Power. I imagine the Atom D525 consumes more power, but can handle rsync better (bigger cpu, more ram)
- Functionality. You can run "do more" on the mini-pc
- Set up cost. Mini-pc require RAM, as well as hardware
- Software configuration. Mini-pc could probably run a full linux distro as well as FreeNAS. NAS-box has dedicated software.
thoughts and opinions?