Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was watching this video:

And I'm wondering what kind of software you would need in order to take the original and add in the over-layed objects (e.g. the guitar and keyboards held by the newcasters, the batman-like words as the guy is singing, etc).

Is there a non-professional package that does this?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

What you are looking at is just a simple green screen/Chroma key effect.

You can do this for free in Windows Movie Maker on Windows and IMovie on Mac.

share|improve this answer

Why would you expect a non-professional program to do this? "Non-professional" – at least for me – implies that it lacks features professionals use, which is just the case in the video here.

For example:

  • Element composition, titles, layers
  • Greenscreening / Bluescreening, Chroma Keying

Adobe Premiere and After Effects are the professional tools for achieving this. On OS X, you can also use Final Cut Pro.

For free? On Windows, you have Movie Maker, and on OS X, you have iMovie for video editing. Here's a video about chroma keying in iMovie, and here's an article about doing it in Windows Movie Maker, but I haven't tried them for this task yet.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.