I am currently searching for my perfect RSS reader. What my RSS Reader needs to be able to do:
- has a working Import and Export function.
- Runs on my computer or my server without storing stuff at a second party (Cloud etc.)
- Syncable between multiple machines with Linux and Windows
- GUI with nice features like:
- mark as read on opening the link
- show the preview of the news
- ability to mark a whole feed as read.
- ability to manually sort my Feeds into different directories
- the ability to automatically sort my news by keywords would be awesome
- Thunderbird RSS reader: I couldn't get it to be syncable between all my installations.
- Google Reader: Really nice GUI and easily synced as it is a web service, but shares my personal stuff with Google.
- Firefox built in reader: the GUI really sucks. there is no way to see all my feeds at once and there is no possibility for a preview other than the headline. I can not mark a whole feed as read.
- RSS Lounge: Is kind of ok, but the whole user experience is not great. It doesn't marks a News as read when i clicked the link and there is no "see next news preview" function. Some feeds just don't work at all (i.e. golem.de). This is the best I have found so far.