Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I can't seem to locate a phone number for Microsoft that doesn't involve paying $25. This is a legal copy of Windows I previously used on another machine, that I now want to apply (only) to this machine.

Are there perhaps reliable activation cracks available? Microsoft seems to be forcing my hand.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by surfasb, Tom Wijsman, Dave M, Nifle, Mokubai Nov 2 '11 at 19:49

Questions on Super User are expected to relate to computer software or computer hardware within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Activation cracks are illegal buddy. If it is legal, just activate over the phone, which is free. If you used it on a previous machine as in an OEM, then it isn't legal to move it to another machine anyways. – surfasb Nov 2 '11 at 7:48
-1 for illegality. – HaydnWVN Nov 2 '11 at 13:30
I have a legal license. Not entirely sure that activation cracks are “illegal” so much as against terms of service in that situation. Nevertheless thanks to I was able to solve my problem via the phone without the $25 charge. That number would have been a great answer… – Alan H. Nov 8 '11 at 18:35
up vote 3 down vote accepted

If you activate over the phone you can explain this is a re-installation on existing hardware.

However, if you have the OEM version this most likely will not work and involve paying or buying a new Window license. The Retail version can be installed on multiple computers, up to a certain limit...

share|improve this answer
OEM's can be reinstalled, but will require you to speak to a person in the 'Activation Department' and supplying them with more information than just the installation number (usually typed into the phone system first) – HaydnWVN Nov 2 '11 at 13:27
It was a license provided through MSDNAA (their partnership with universities). – Alan H. Nov 3 '11 at 19:47
Do you know the phone number in question? – Alan H. Nov 3 '11 at 19:48

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.