I've used dd to clone hard drives before using 'dd' and a live cd, but have run into a problem.
dd fails with an "Input/Output Error" on /dev/sda3 , even though windows "check disk" (chkdsk) says it's ok.
- Trying to replace my laptop hard drive w/ a faster one of the same size
- Laptop has NTFS on a 320gb hard drive
- Booting into knoppix
- Knoppix recognizes 'original' drive(
- I am using a usb connection for ‘new' drive (irrelevant, but just an fyi)
- Knoppix recognizes the usb drive as
dd, as follows:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
`dd gives the I/O error above at 82Gb (out of 320Gb)
I then tried checking each partition as follows and found it failed on
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/null dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/null dd if=/dev/sda3 of=/dev/null
I have ran windows xp chkdsk on the offending drive in both "find only" and "find and fix" mode and it reports no errors
How can I find and fix the error on my original hard drive partition (i.e. /dev/sda3) so that dd reads it successfully?