My USB-connected external hard drive/enclosure is not being recognized in Windows Explorer. A few important details:
- I just build a new machine from components for the first time. Other USB related functions seem to be working fine, though
- The hard drive, enclosure, and USB cable all work fine and read my disk appropriately on my old machine
- Under Computer Management, the disk shows up, as "Not Initialized". It seems to act like it's not even formatted
- A generic hard drive does get listed under "Safely Remove Hardware"
- I looked and found a driver for my enclosure, but that didn't make a difference.
I read in one forum that initializing doesn't format the drive, so that makes me think that perhaps I could just run the initialize routine under Computer Management. But I certainly don't want to mess it up!
What is the problem and how do I fix it?