Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Like devices using 802.15 is called Bluetooth, 802.11 is WiFi, 802.16 is WiMAX... Wireless headsets, mouses, keyboards, and the like are just called "Wireless". But is there a name for the type of wireless besides 2.4 GHz wireless? Cause I think WiFi and bluetooth use the same frequency.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

It's defined in an IEEE standard as the "S band". 2.4GHz is actually just part of the wider S Band, which covers from 2GHz to 4GHz.

From Wikipedia:

Wireless network equipment compatible with IEEE 802.11b and 802.11g standards use the 2.4 GHz section of the S band. Digital cordless telephones operate in this band too.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.