Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a way to ask Windows to print pictures with the filename overlayed on top of the picture? (e.g. in small print on the bottom left corner of the picture). If not what would be an application that would facilitate this task?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

You can do that in Paint (Win+R, pbrush.exe)

ImageMagick can do that from command line if you need mass processing: (Convert tool, "-annotate" or "-draw text" option.)

Command line loop in Windows:

for %i in (*.png *.jpg *.gif) do convert ... %i

Usually I make dry run before running actual loop:

for %i in (*.png *.jpg *.gif) do echo convert ... %i
share|improve this answer

Two other options, although both print the filename below the picture, not overlayed on it.

  • If you're willing to work with just thumbnail-size prints, Windows
    will print the picture with the filename at the Contact sheet (35) setting

  • Or, create a PowerPoint Photo Album (Under Insert)

    1. select your photos
    2. Choose Picture Layout with anything other than the default Fit to Slide
    3. check Captions below ALL pictures
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.