I'm installing a copy of Windows 7 on a computer running XP. Everything has been progressing fine, but at the "Completing installation" stage the computer seems to freeze - the 3 dots no longer move, mouse doesn't move, etc.
Searching the Internet I have found approximately 1.3 gazillion relevant results, suggesting to:
- Just wait, it will sort itself out in X time (30 minutes to 12 hours, apparently it depends on the current phase of Jupiter or something like that).
- Disconnect all USB and/or PCI/PCIe devices.
- Disconnect all USB and/or PCI/PCIe devices and reboot to restart the installation.
- Install on a fresh partition.
- Reboot and try every possible combination of BIOS settings, while praying and standing on your head.
Each of these results have like 2 people for which it worked and infinity for which it hadn't. On the other hand, most of those threads are from 2009, so I'm hoping maybe by now there's some well-known solution. What can I do to solve this?