Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My dad's wireless router is on the opposite end of the room than the TV and I brought over my xbox 360 to play this weekend. However, I lack the will to purchase an overpriced wireless adapter and I much rather not have an ethernet cable strewn across the room.

Is it possible to install some sort of driver on my laptop (Windows 7) to have it act as a virtual router/bridge so I can place an ethernet cable in the NIC on my laptop and the other end in the xbox 360? Also, can I do this without the need of a crossover cable, as we only have standard cables at the moment.

Just for the sake an example, I'd love the exact same functionality as, but connected via ethernet

The NIC is a Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E.

share|improve this question
most modern wired NICs do autonegotiation - all gig-e ones do by default. this makes a crossover cable un-necessary – Journeyman Geek Nov 12 '11 at 5:32
up vote 3 down vote accepted

You should be able to do this with a standard ethernet cable if you bridge the connections in network settings. This post on MSDN indicates you should be able to do it with a normal patch cable and has instructions to follow.

share|improve this answer
I love how the very first line is "Is your Xbox 360 in a room far, far away from your broadband router, and you just don't have the cash to spend on the Xbox wireless adapter?" ... almost word for word what I had said.. haha – WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Nov 12 '11 at 5:00

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .