Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a recovery partition from Windows Vista, and I upgraded my laptop to Windows 7. Can I create from Windows 7 a new recovery partition?

Also, would this be legitimate (legal)? The laptop only has a Windows Vista sticker. :/

share|improve this question
The nice little sticker on your laptop is just for decoration. As long as you onw a Windows 7 license, you may install it on any computer you want. – Michael K Nov 15 '11 at 13:18
But install Windows 7 from update is not OEM version connected with computer install on ? – netmajor Nov 15 '11 at 13:23
If you want to use Windows Upgrade, that will not work with most OEM or MSDN licenses. As far as I know, there is no direct upgrade from vista to 7 anyway. – Michael K Nov 15 '11 at 13:30
See this article, you can skip some steps as you already have the needed… – Moab Nov 15 '11 at 21:35
@MichaelK - You cannot use a Windows 7 OEM licence on 'any computer you want.' – HaydnWVN Dec 5 '11 at 15:35

You can't replace it, but it does no longer work after upgrade (different MBR, etc) and you can simply delete that partition via Disk Management or diskpart.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .