I'm running Windows 7 SP1 on a MacBook Pro via Boot Camp (i.e. it boots natively).
services.exe started exhibiting behavior whereby every 15 minutes or so it will ramp up over the course of 1-2 minutes to use all available memory on the system (in my case all 8GB of memory). It will stay there for a couple of minutes and then ramp down to normal again.
The process itself goes from using ~40MB of memory to ~5GB+ memory and then back to ~40MB..
I've gotten a dump of the process while it was ramping up by using
procdump and the 3GB file contained repeating data--it looked like pointers to function calls or return addresses when I looked at it with
I also took a look with
procmon but the data wasn't very enlightening--there wasn't much to look at and what was there looked normal.
What I'm looking for are pointers on how to better look at memory usage by an application so that I can attempt to figure out what is causing this behavior.