Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a router on one end of my house. I've run one cat5 cable to the computer on the other side, and now (of course) I want a laptop to have a hard connection to the net there as well. Can I just use a switch, plugging the current cable I have into port 1, and running 2 separate cables to ports 2 and 3, plugging in my computers to it?

I.e.: Router -- switch -- 2 computers plugged into switch

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Yes. This is a very common setup, and it is the very reason switches exist.

Basically, any switch will do, provided it is as fast as you need it to be. E.g. buy a gigabit switch only if you need gigabit speed between your desktop and laptop, and they both have gigabit network adapters. Otherwise, just for the internet connectivity, any cheap simple network switch will do.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .