Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Next to my headphone and microphone 3.5mm jacks there is one more 3.5mm port with a little image that looks like the image below.

What is this port? What can it be used for?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

That is a mini-TOSLINK port. You'll need a cable like the one below to hook it up.

You can use it for hooking your laptop up to a home theater or other stereo with a plug for optical connections.


share|improve this answer
mini-toslink - @Melikoth: I added an image to your answer - please delete it if you prefer. – RedGrittyBrick Nov 18 '11 at 18:55
Thanks. Can I use this port to output to CRT type TV (the old type of TV's) ? – Jacques Nov 18 '11 at 19:03
@Jacques, no... This is digital. Your old CRT TV is analog. – David Nov 18 '11 at 19:08
Is there a way to output Video + Audio to a CRT TV and what would be the easiest way? My laptop is modern and has all the modern ports but my TV not so modern.. Thanks. – Jacques Nov 18 '11 at 19:10
@Jacques: Not directly with modern laptops. Some old ones had an Composite or S-video connectors, but most new ones come with an HDMI interface which can pass both video and audio signals. The highest quality solution would be to find a newer model TV on the cheap that has the plugs you need, making your current one work with the laptop will likely be a mess of parts. – Melikoth Nov 18 '11 at 20:48

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .