Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I saw the Mac 128K, and see that keyboard have return key and enter key. In the model mac only remain the return key. What is the different between these two keys in the old system? Thanks.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Carriage return (CR) causes a linebreak on Mac. Thus, return was (and is) a formatting key.

The enter key was used for other purposes as executing a shell command, for example.

Nowadays, one single key is used for both purposes.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.