Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

At work, there are two computers side by side that share the same mouse/keyboard/internet cable (luckily the monitor has two cable inputs). We have to keep on switching these wires whenever we want to use a different computer.

I was wondering if I could make a switching board (or buy one) so that I could have all of these three things plugged in, and I just change a switch instead of all of those cables?


share|improve this question

migrated from stackoverflow.com Nov 23 '11 at 11:48

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

add comment

3 Answers

Well, a KVM switch will allow you to easily move between PCs with one Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor, but I've never heard of anything like that for ethernet. You'd be better off buying a KVM and like a cheap 4 port switch and using that.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Yes, it is called a KVM switch. It doesnt do ethernet though.

share|improve this answer
add comment

You could also look into Synergy: http://synergy-foss.org/

I've never used this, but it's freeware and I've heard wonderful things about it.

But, beyond that, wouldn't it just be easier to get another keyboard/mouse/Ethernet cable set for the other computer? o_o.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.