I want to build a linux based Firewall/Router/WAP from a PC that I have.
Here is what I want.
- Act as a firewall where I can deny all incoming traffic except what I want
- Allow me to run servers with public IP's and also have a private subnet for my internal machines.
- Act as my DNS
- Put in a Wireless card and use it to give wireless to my apartment.
- Put in a few large hard drives for storage, but not have it accessible to the outside, just private IP's
- This box can also host a few very small web domains
- Host a small amount of e-mail serving.
- Maybe do some Load Balancing
7 and 8 are optional. I know it is not the best idea to run all of this on a single box, but my apartment is small and my wife wont tolerate a server rack. I can have a few boxes (which I have 2 already that host some sites.)
Can any provide a tutorial. I know how to do some of this and I know the box needs multiple NIC's, etc. I know more about CentOS than any other distro.
What sort of specs RAM wise would be OK? The box I have goes up to 4GB.