Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If I'm typing something (this question for example), and I press Home, and the blinking line, letting me know where I'm typing, goes to the front of the line. To go back to the end, I can just press End.

What if I'm editing what I've already written? For example, if I want to bold a word. I first go to that word (using the Ctrl and Arrow keys, then press "**". I then slip, pressing Home.

How can I go back to the last place I was typing before I pressed Home,End, Page Up or Page Down?

share|improve this question
the answer to that question depends entirely on the "editor" you are using. vim for example has a a list of jump positions. – akira Nov 25 '11 at 16:52
I'm using Chrome and Microsoft Office (someone removed those tags) – wizlog Nov 25 '11 at 20:39
up vote 2 down vote accepted

This works for me: CTRL+Z in Chrome.

This is assuming you wish to return to where the cursor was before you "slipped". If you want to return to where you started at the first time you pressed home, that you will have to use the arrow keys.

share|improve this answer
I'm not looking for a one button solution... I'll wait to see if anyone else has an answer. – wizlog Nov 25 '11 at 15:12
The good news is that I suggested a two button solution...? – shufler Nov 25 '11 at 15:22
What? is that a joke? BTW, I'm looking for a one step solution. – wizlog Nov 25 '11 at 15:32
CTRL+Z is one step. Maybe I'm not clear on what you are trying to do. My understanding is you are typing some text and you make a typo by hitting a positioning key (Home, End, PgUp, PgDn) and wish to return to where you were previously typing. Am I understanding you correctly? – shufler Nov 25 '11 at 16:16
No, I don't think so. CTRL+Z undoes any changes that are made to the text or document. Moving the mouse cursor isn't considered a change. – wizlog Nov 25 '11 at 16:20

In Microsoft Word, the shortcut Shift F5 technically returns your cursor to the last editing position. But ever since Word 2003, it has moved your cursor to the last position, period.

Try that.

This also works in Visual Studios.

share|improve this answer

CTRL+Z and then CTRL+Y will get you back to exactly where you were.
PageUp and PageDown generally preserve the horizontal position of the cursor, so pressing the opposite key should work. If not, Undo-Redo will still work.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .