I set up PC with 2 network cards, connected to the same LAN. I can connect to this PC (e.g. by remote desktop) only via IP addresses. Accessing by hostname does not work.
Why is this the case?
UPDATE: Full environment
- PC with 2 hardware network adapters.
- On this PC installed VMWare Workstation. Created 3 VM's, networked by "bridged" network setting in VMWare.
- In LAN all IP addresses given from DHCP.
- Win2k8 on all hosts (both physical and virtual).
- PC has 2 IP addresses (e.g. 192.168.1.71 and 192.168.1.72). PC available in LAN by IP addresses, but not available by hostname.
- VM's has own IP address on each (e.g. 192.168.1.73, *74, *75 etc). They are available from LAN by their ip's, BUT not by their hostnames.
How can I access to PC and to VM's by hostname?