I've got something weird going on. Normally, I'd use df to show current available space on my hard drive, and noticed I was running short in my home partition. So I opened up gparted and saw I had more than was shown with df. It's a 5% difference, almost 2GB difference. I'm going to try using testdisk to see if anything is wrong.
Here's fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes Disk identifier: 0x11a8ba38 Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/sda1 63 10233404 5116671 b W95 FAT32 /dev/sda2 10233405 231239679 110503137+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT /dev/sda3 231241726 312580095 40669185 5 Extended /dev/sda5 308385792 312580095 2097152 82 Linux swap / Solaris /dev/sda6 243032064 308383743 32675840 83 Linux /dev/sda7 231241728 243030015 5894144 83 Linux Partition table entries are not in disk order
and parted -l:
Model: ATA TOSHIBA MK1652GS (scsi) Disk /dev/sda: 160GB Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B Partition Table: msdos Number Start End Size Type File system Flags 1 32.3kB 5240MB 5239MB primary fat32 2 5240MB 118GB 113GB primary ntfs 3 118GB 160GB 41.6GB extended 7 118GB 124GB 6036MB logical ext4 6 124GB 158GB 33.5GB logical ext4 5 158GB 160GB 2147MB logical linux-swap(v1)
df -h shows:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda1 4.9G 4.1G 860M 83% /media/sda1 /dev/sda2 106G 86G 21G 81% /media/sda2 /dev/sda6 31G 29G 807M 98% /media/sda6 /dev/sda7 5.6G 3.8G 1.6G 71% /media/sda7
sda1 is a recovery partition for the laptop, sda2 is the windows partition, sda6 is /home, and sda7 is root.
As you can see in the screenshot below, both sda1 and sda2 are showing fine with df, and 6 and 7 (in the extended partition) aren't. :/
cfdisk complains of:
FATAL ERROR: Bad logical partition 6: enlarged logical partitions overlap which it has never done before. This started happening after I was using a liveUSB to to use gparted to resize and move partitions. It failed to shrink the filesystem on my windows partition, and then when it refreshed everything looked okay.
I'm going to try the partedmagic liveUSB as soon as I get it on my flash drive, has anyone else had this problem or know a solution? I'd also like to fix my table entries so they are in order, but that can be done another time.
EDIT: So I'm in partedmagic, test disk tells me:
Disk /dev/sda - 160 GB / 149 GiB - CHS 19457 255 63 Current partition structure: Partition Start End Size in sectors 1 P FAT32 0 1 1 636 254 63 10233342 [PQSERVICE] 2 P HPFS - NTFS 637 0 1 14394 1 7 221006275 [XP] 3 E extended 14394 33 38 19457 53 52 81338370 Bad sector count.
So I guess that needs fixed somehow, I'll see if I can fix it with what I know of testdisk.
df without the human readable command shows this:
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/sda1 5106660 4226416 880244 83% /media/sda1 /dev/sda2 110503132 89294228 21208904 81% /media/sda2 /dev/sda6 32164696 29691780 839128 98% /media/sda6 /dev/sda7 5801560 3902728 1604128 71% /media/sda7
32164696 - 29691780 != 839128, there's something going wrong somewhere.
Found an answer to what's going on here: http://askubuntu.com/a/48511 from a google lead by some good ideas from Mike. I do feel silly.