Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am trying to put together a cygwin installation and find that the commandtput is needed, but I have no idea what package supplies it. How can I find the package I need?

please note: I found have the answer that I will be posting immediately after this making a "help save the next guy" entry, don't bother answering unless you really, really want to

share|improve this question
+1 for the comment. – soandos Nov 30 '11 at 6:25

If you have tput.exe installed, you can do

$ type tput.exe
tput.exe is /usr/bin/tput.exe
$ cygcheck --find-package /usr/bin/tput.exe
share|improve this answer
isn't cygcheck --find-package tput sufficient to answer the question? If so, drop the type command and yours becomes the accepted answer (I ask because I do not have a cygwin available to confirm this). – msw Dec 1 '11 at 4:29
No, you must specify the full path, but you can omit the .exe suffix. – Peter John Acklam Dec 1 '11 at 21:41
+1 for the cygcheck, but not having tput.exe was the initial problem – msw Dec 2 '11 at 17:20
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Cygwin has a package index and search page. Searching for bin/tput yields:

Found 3 matches for bin/tput

ncurses/ncurses-5.7-16  Utilities for terminal handling
ncurses/ncurses-5.7-18  Utilities for terminal handling
ncursesw/ncursesw-5.7-18    Utilities for terminal handling
share|improve this answer
I find it's better to search for 'bin/<program_name_without.exe>' because some programs are symbolic links or scripts without the .exe suffix, and prefixing with 'bin/' excludes other files. – ak2 Nov 30 '11 at 8:55
@ak2 - edited to incorporate your suggestion; thanks – msw Dec 1 '11 at 4:16

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.