My system used to play DVDs flawlessly. Now all of a sudden, it stutters. I have tested multiple commercial DVDs (standard definition, not HD), which are clean and not scratched. All of them stutter equally. Video files stored on the hard drive do not stutter, nor does Netflix.
- Pentium 4 2.4ghz 4gb RAM
- ATI Radeon 9200 video card
- IDE DVD drive [ATAPI liteon]
- Win XP SP3
- Media Player Classic
- XP codec pack
What I've checked/tried
- No other applications are running on the system.
- During DVD playback, CPU usage is low (60% at peak, usually below 30%)
- I have checked that the DVD drive is in DMA mode.
- Data transfer tests at 2.72 mb/s
- I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the codecs, MPC and VLC.
- I have cleaned the lens on the DVD drive with a lens cleaner disc.
- I can play mpg4 movie files from a data DVD without noticeable stutter
I have fooled with the config of ffdshow and managed to get it so that in Media Player Classic the video doesn’t stutter much, but the sound still stutters badly. The video and audio stutter are quite bad in both Windows Media Player and VLC.
Any suggestions? Thanks