Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Since my profile for my main user is screwed up I created a new user and then did a copy and paste of the contents from the old user to the new user. How can I export all of these settings (boot, startup, services, etc.) from the old user and then how do I import them to the new user?

The screwed up profile takes 15-17 min. after a successful login before the system is ready to do anything. Before the screwed up profile it would take approximately 5-7 min. to go from login to ready.

share|improve this question

You can use the built-in Easy Transfer, which will move your profile settings.

You'll need to start it up on the old login then have it save out to a file to import into the new login.

During the import, you can choose what folders and which registry keys to import in.

But you have to ask yourself, "If I have no idea what went wrong with the old profile in the first place, is it wise to import any of the old settings?"

share|improve this answer
that is why I am interested in just exporting/importing the stuff from MS config – the new user/profile seems to work very well but I don't want to use msconfig on the new user "manually" if there is an easier way to do things… – greenber Dec 4 '11 at 22:57
Then Easy Transfer should be the ticket. – surfasb Dec 5 '11 at 5:26
easy transfer seems to be great for transferring everything except the startup stuff in msconfig – I have the entire disk already transferred and the new profile works well. How do I transfer only the startup items from one profile to another? Cut and paste does not work. So how do I do this? – greenber Dec 6 '11 at 20:29

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.