Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a Mac OS X v10.7 (Lion) system, and I ran into some issues because my file-system is case-insensitive.

When you create a new partition in the Disk Utility, it lets me choose to use either of those:

  1. Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)
  2. Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Is it possible to change an existing partition from (Journaled) to (Case-sensitive, Journaled)?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I believe you'll need to reformat the partition to change its case sensitivity.

Edit: Actually, I just found this question, which is a very similar problem. It looks like something called iPartition worked to change a partition from case-sensitive to case-insensitive, and I would assume it could do it the other way around as well, as what you need to do is actually simpler.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.