Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm using OS X and when I am typing in a text box and press the tab key, it will jump to the next HTML element on the page. I've tried using the modifier keys to prevent this from happening but that doesn't seem to work.

Is there a way I can get my keyboard to type "tabs" in a text box without having to copy and paste them from another editing tool?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

If you use Firefox, check this extension:

share|improve this answer
Thanks! What about for Chrome? – cwd Dec 13 '11 at 0:01
This would do:… – karatedog Dec 13 '11 at 0:57
Thanks @karatedog that is a pretty sweet extension for Chrome. – cwd Jan 4 '12 at 14:09

It's usually Ctrl-Opt-Tab if Tab is used to move keyboard focus to a different element, but seems to require a well-behaved OS X application. It works in Safari, iTunes, Things, Automator, etc.

share|improve this answer
Great! Now I've got this working with 3 of 3 browser I have installed. – cwd Jan 4 '12 at 14:08

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .