Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What's the shortcut for closing the current tab or window? Also, the new Win 7 shortcuts don't work for me. For instance Alt + Space + X maximizies the window but Win + UpArrow doesn't work. Weird.

share|improve this question
What model of computer do you have, and is it a laptop? Laptops come loaded with so much bloatware, one of the preinstalled programs could be filtering your keyboard. I had this problem on an Asus laptop. – Hand-E-Food Dec 13 '11 at 22:26
Business HP desktop. – verve Dec 14 '11 at 21:27
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Ctrl+W / Ctrl+F4 to close the current tab.

Alt+F4 to close the current window.

share|improve this answer
ALT+F4 has only been around since Windows 3.11 LOL – OG Chuck Low Dec 13 '11 at 22:02
Ctrl+F4 also closes the current tab. – Hand-E-Food Dec 13 '11 at 22:25

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .