Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there any terminal command I can use to switch directly to a space in OS X 10.6 ?

Something like:

spaces switch 2
share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

If you have assigned keyboard shortcuts for switching between Spaces in System Preferences, you can trigger them using AppleScript:

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to key code 124 using control down'

This will effectively press Control-Right. Left is 123, Up is 126, and Down is 125.

These are the key codes for the number keys:

1 18
2 19
3 20
4 21
5 23
6 22
7 26
8 28
9 25
0 29

Just assign an alias to that osascript call or wrap it in a shell function.

share|improve this answer
Thanks Daniel. I guess you don't know of a way to do it other than the old "have applescript press the keys for me" method then? – cwd Dec 14 '11 at 20:07
@cwd I didn't find anything. Given the UI requirement and the default assignable shortcuts it's likely not supported because it's of limited usefulness. But wait a few days, maybe Lri or slhck or someone else has an idea. – Daniel Beck Dec 14 '11 at 20:30
Thanks, I gave you an upvote. Take a look at this one too when you have a chance: – cwd Dec 15 '11 at 2:08

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.