Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My laptop has VGA and hdmi out. The graphics card is GT520m. My TV has :

  • 3 RCA input
  • 3 RCA output
  • 3+2 Component input

I want to connect laptop to TV for watching videos. Please suggest an economical solution ?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

If you're not planning on watching HD video, I'd get an active conversion box, such as this one

share|improve this answer
By the sound of the product description "Exports VGA signal to VGA monitor", I don't think this will help get his laptop to display on a TV. – Aaron Dec 17 '11 at 16:03
Woops. You're right. Wrong link! I meant this! – Arnon Dec 17 '11 at 16:36
These converters are little expensive. Will this work and can anybody tell me that my card has tv-out ? – Serious Dec 17 '11 at 17:39
Your graphics adapter does not have TV out. I think the last nVidia card that had it was the GeForce 9500GT. You need to use somekind of VGA converter. A passive cable or adapter cannot convert VGA to composite or component video. – sawdust Dec 17 '11 at 21:05
It is little expensive but I guess an active converter is the only solution. Thanks. – Serious Feb 10 '12 at 13:56

You need to get an adapter. Here's a link for a VGA to Component 3 adapter ($10.99) and here's one for a VGA to RCA adapter ($0.99).

share|improve this answer
Will the second one work. There are many bad reviews. I have read somewhere that it requires TV out from graphics card( I don't know whether my card supports it) – Serious Dec 17 '11 at 15:07
As far as the quality goes, I suppose that's what you get for 99 cents. I would think the VGA-to-Component one would fare a lot better, though. I used to do this with one of my desktops when I had an old ATI card with an S-video out...but it doesn't sound like that's an option for you. – Aaron Dec 17 '11 at 16:00
Serious is correct, your video-adapter must support tv-out via the VGA connector (seemingly quite rare), otherwise the second adapter will not work. The first one is better for the OP and should presumably work, but even that it may not be compatible according to the warning on the page: This cable requires a video converter or output device that can process a YPbPr signal through an HD15 (VGA) port. – Synetech Jun 26 '12 at 22:26
And for the first adapter, your video adapter must support component out on the VGA connector, also exceedingly rare. You need an active adapter. – Jamie Hanrahan Nov 16 '14 at 0:32

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.