Sign up ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Could someone tell me what the name of the filter that extracts part of the image that is selected by a brush. What you do is go around the outline of an image with a brush and then fill it in and then click ok and it extracts the selected part of the image. people use it to go around a persons hair for example to take away the background.

share|improve this question

migrated from Dec 18 '11 at 3:10

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

You may like this sister site in beta status: – screener Dec 18 '11 at 6:17

2 Answers 2

The Extract filter was removed from CS5 and above. But you can now use the Refine Edge options to tweek your selection: get a selection tool and Right click > Refine Edge or click Refine Edge at the top bar or click on the menu Selection > Refine Edge. It's quite explanatory, 'cause it has some example images at the bottom when you hover over the sliders.

share|improve this answer

Did you mean selection tool??? Like this :

enter image description here

and This is a magnetic lasso tool.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.