I had a working Win 7 64-bit machine. I purchased a Razer Black Widow Ultimate Stealth keyboard. I confirmed that this keyboard has the latest firmware and works by using it on another Windows 7 64-bit computer, first try, no problems.
But on my computer I installed the Razer software and it said there was no keyboard detected. Since then I have had increasing problems with my USB devices.
My Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 stopped working. It cannot install the proper diver. Code 28. Even though I didn't uninstall any drivers.
Then Bamboo (CTH-460) stopped working. Code 28. I can't fix the driver.
Now I can't even hook up a standard USB 2.0 hub. Even it shows up as Unknown Device.
I have tried using the device manager to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. I have even tried this in safe mode.
All these devices continue to function properly if I connect them to my other Win7 64-bit box 3 feet away from this one.
I have run out of ideas.
Anybody seen this happen before? Did some root driver get screwed up that is breaking everything down stream from that driver?
update: So far no progress in determining the problem. And it is now at the point that if I take a functioning USB device, say my mouse, unplug it and plug it back in a different USB port, it will cease to function and it will be reported as an Unknown Device. Cycling power doesn't help. At this point I am not sure I can spend any more time on this and I may have to just rebuild the machine from scratch. It will take me a man week, or more, to rebuild this, my main computer. Ugh.
Looks like I need to set up a 4TB NAS and some continuous backup software as insurance against this happening again.
update 2: I have yet to solve this problem. I am going to try one last crazy thing. I am going to migrate the box P2V and then migrate it back V2P. Maybe, just maybe, it might shake it free. Fingers and toes crossed.