Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have 2 PC's (notebook). Both have Windows 7 32bit. They are cross connected with LAN cable.

How to use PC 2 as extended monitor of PC 1 ?

I want to achieve same effect as I would connect external LCD to PC 1.

MaxiVista requires LAN router/switcher, I only have cross LAN connection.

share|improve this question
Well, can't you just use a Cross Over cable and statically assign IP addresses and then use MaxiVista? – kobaltz Dec 29 '11 at 18:25
It appears the gent below has answered the question, but I would also suggest Synergy as a possible program for this as well. I have used it for a while and it does very well. – Paperlantern Dec 29 '11 at 20:04

As you only have 2 PCs, and if your only limitation with MaxiVista is obtaining IP connectivity between the two PCs, you don't need a LAN router or a switch, but only a Ethernet cross-over cable between the PCs. (You can purchase one of these from your favorite computer retailer if you don't have one or don't want to make your own.)

Since you won't have a DHCP server, you will either need to manually assign IP addresses on each PC in the same subnet, or use the auto configuration addresses (will take a few minutes for the DHCP query attempts to timeout) - which will result in 169.254.*.* addresses on each.

share|improve this answer
Note that with modern network cards you won’t even need a crossover cable – kinokijuf Feb 14 '12 at 10:43

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.