Goal of Network
The main router/wap (Netgear) sits in the corner of the house. The wireless tends to have a poor signal in the main area of the house. I picked up the D-Link so that I could add another wap to the main area of the house and provide a solid signal where most of the wireless devices hang out.
I'd like to have both the Netgear broadcast the wireless as well as the D-Link so that all areas of the house have good coverage and on the same SSID.
FYI: I have a wired connection between the D-Link wap and the Netgear router.
- Default IP address of 192.168.1.1
- Enable wireless router radio (yes)
- Enable wireless repeating function (yes)
- Set as wireless base station (yes)
- Disable Wireless Client Association (no)
- Added the MAC address of the D-Link to the repeater MAC address list
- Updated the static IP from 192.168.0.50 to 192.168.1.50
- Not sure which setting to choose from for the Wireless Settings Operational Mode. The options are:
- Wireless Client: AP acts as a wireless network adapter for your Ethernet-enabled device
- Access Point (AP): Create a wireless LAN
- WDS with AP: Wirelessly connect multiple networks while still functioning as a wireless AP
- WDS: Wirelessly connect multiple networks
Of Note: I have set both routers to be on the same SSID channel and security mode.
My Questions are
- Have I set up the Netgear wireless repeater options correctly?
- What mode do I set up the D-Link as?
- Am I even going about this the correct way? i.e., is the repeater option what I'm really looking for?