Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to use an HDMI output device with a DisplayPort monitor. My main issue is getting audio.. HDMI to DVI doesn't support audio. Are there any cables that do HDMI to Displayport and support audio?

share|improve this question
One cannot legally create an "HDMI-to-DisplayPort cable" or a "DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable". Such a thing would have to be an adapter. To use the name "HDMI" in connection with a product requires it to pass HDMI compliance testing, and there is no compliance test for such a cable. – David Schwartz Jan 4 '12 at 2:04
ok... but outside of the legality, then, is it possible? and would there be able to be approved cables too? – jay Jan 4 '12 at 4:11
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Short answer: No.

Long answer:

At least at it writes explicitly that there is no such a device. Note that there are several devices for the other direction (DisplayPort device/output, HDMI monitor/input), but they do not work the other way around. I personally tried to connect my laptop (HDMI) with a monitor (Displayport) using this cable. There was simply no image.

Anyhow, I don't think that it is technically impossible to build such an adapter. I am courious myself why you can't buy such a device and if the information at is acutally (still?) correct.

share|improve this answer
I could not find the part at which supports that "there is no such a device". Maybe it is there but it would be helpful if you could quote the specific part so that we can find it there if we want. The reason I was checking what they say is that while there is no cable that will do the conversion, there appear to be devices that can convert the HDMI signal coming out of a source, to a DP signal that a DP monitor can accept. – Louis Nov 12 '15 at 17:56
Sorry, my bad. I should have pasted the quoted from beginning. I don't which part I read which led me to believe that there is no such device. Note that I was searching for such a thing 2,5 years ago, back then I couldn't find any. – lumbric Nov 14 '15 at 11:06

There are DisplayPort to HDMI adapters - here's an example -

share|improve this answer
will these port the sound through (my monitor has an audio hook-up) – jay Jan 4 '12 at 19:06
I believe it should, but I do not have any firsthand experience. I'll defer to someone who's tried it. – Jim G. Jan 5 '12 at 3:40
This answer is wrong. The adapter works only the other way around. From the description: "Connect your HDMI monitor or HDTV to a DisplayPort equipped computer. The DP2HDMIADAP DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter provides a DisplayPort male and HDMI female connector, allowing you to keep your existing (HDMI) display while using a DisplayPort video card/source." – lumbric Apr 5 '13 at 17:15

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .