It took me a while but I have finally installed dual-boot Vista with the latest Ubuntu on my home PC.
I am not really a stranger to unix, and have been using it for at least 7 years as a user and C/C++ developer, yet now entering a new era of being sort-of an administrator, developer, and most importantly a daily user of the OS. Hence I am looking to configure it with the best/useful programs, best/useful shortcuts, etc. Here is what I am looking for, but PLEASE suggest beyond this list, as I am pretty sure I'm missing a fair amount (consider myself a neophyte; suggestions will also be useful to others). Provide links, examples, instructions, etc.
- anti virus programs, security
- networking tools
- browsing (firefox?) chat (gaim irc?)
- developments tools (debuggers, compilers) -- I primary use C/C++
- moving files between Windows Vista and Ubuntu
- what kind of shell should I use, how to best configure it (tcsh, bash?)
- editors. I primary use gvim 7.2
- desktop, shortcut, zip tools,
- Other things I forgot to mention.
Please feel free to edit this post.