My PC has an SSD as C: and a sata drive for D:
The SSD is brand-new and so I have reinstalled Windows 7 64-bit. I have installed the latest network drivers from the motherboard manufacturer, in fact these are the same drivers I was using previously. Since the install, I've encountered a strange issue. I will start a download and it will reach the maximum speed for my connection and then freeze. The download doesn't fail, it just stops. I only see the network speed take a dive and flatline when I look at the network activity. This happens at a random time during the download. I have to restart the download process and it will then (normally) progress fine. For example, if I start a 700MB download it will stop at about 40MB. If I pause/cancel and then restart this download, it will usually continue all the way.
I thought that it might be the SSD drive, but I set the downloads to store on D: and the issue persists. It affects any large amount of network traffic - Windows updates, downloads through a browser, copying files from another computer, etc. The problem started before and after I installed updates, and I've tried turning off the firewall to no effect.
I'm not entirely sure what else I can do. I tried another reinstall, but it didn't solve the problem. I've also tried swapping the network cable.