Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a printer that can take a 110v fuser or a 220v fuser.

  • What is the difference?
  • Can using the wrong one cause issues?
  • What other things should I consider when choosing a certain voltage on a printer fuser?
share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Some countries use 110V power. Some countries use 220V power. You should use whichever is correct for the power mains in the location where you are. I am surprised to hear that this isn't a unit that supports both specs, but I'm not super familiar with printers so maybe that would be difficult to do. Most computing equipment these days supports both standards with a manual toggle, though.

(These numbers are old specs and the actual power these days I believe is 120V/230V but essentially it comes down to this. More to the point, you can probably only easily find the correct one in your location.)

share|improve this answer
EU is 230 V ± 6%. South Dakota (Paul's location) is 110 V. – RedGrittyBrick Jan 9 '12 at 17:14
@RedGrittyBrick - Doh, didn't occur to me to check his user profile. :) Yeah, in the US you'll want the 110V unit. – Shinrai Jan 9 '12 at 17:16

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.