Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have added 'some' restrictions to an account on my computer, however, as I disabled the system tray, the user can't access the volume control or connect to a wifi network.

So, can somebody please give me the location to the volume control program, and connect to a network program? I will then add shortcuts to the start-menu.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Volume Control
The volume mixer application is SndVol32.exe in 32-bit Windows and SndVol.exe in 64-bit Windows. It is located in C:\WINDOWS\System32 (in both 32- and 64-bit) and C:\WINDOWS\SysWow64 in 64-bit Windows.

Connect to a Network
In Windows 7 you can access the Network and Sharing center with the command control /name Microsoft.NetworkAndSharingCenter. Here you can click Connect to a network. This may not be the approach you are looking for, but I have yet to find another way.

Windows Mobility Center
If this is a portable computer, you can also access both of these controls (and others) with Windows Mobility Center. It's in Control Panel or you can access it with Win+X. Supposedly this article describes how to enable Windows Mobility Center for computers that are not laptops. It involves a registry change that I have not tested.

share|improve this answer
Thanks! I have provided a start menu shortcut to the mobility center, as I have also diasabled the control.exe program, and win button shortcuts. – Liam W Jan 10 '12 at 7:01

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .