Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have added 'some' restrictions to an account on my computer, however, as I disabled the system tray, the user can't access the volume control or connect to a wifi network.

So, can somebody please give me the location to the volume control program, and connect to a network program? I will then add shortcuts to the start-menu.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Volume Control
The volume mixer application is SndVol32.exe in 32-bit Windows and SndVol.exe in 64-bit Windows. It is located in C:\WINDOWS\System32 (in both 32- and 64-bit) and C:\WINDOWS\SysWow64 in 64-bit Windows.

Connect to a Network
In Windows 7 you can access the Network and Sharing center with the command control /name Microsoft.NetworkAndSharingCenter. Here you can click Connect to a network. This may not be the approach you are looking for, but I have yet to find another way.

Windows Mobility Center
If this is a portable computer, you can also access both of these controls (and others) with Windows Mobility Center. It's in Control Panel or you can access it with Win+X. Supposedly this article describes how to enable Windows Mobility Center for computers that are not laptops. It involves a registry change that I have not tested.

share|improve this answer
Thanks! I have provided a start menu shortcut to the mobility center, as I have also diasabled the control.exe program, and win button shortcuts. – Liam W Jan 10 '12 at 7:01

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.