Recently, I ordered an Alienware Aurora, Windows 7 Professional, with Double AMD Radeon™ HD 6950 CrossfireX™ at 2 GB each. So, it's got a total of 4 slots.
At first startup, both screens were lit and connected to each graphics card (1st slot and 3rd slot, assuming the 3rd slot is the 2nd graphics card). At first time boot, windows started initializing the desktop and adding the alienware theme. Both screens got a real cool alien background, but once it logged in (after it was done with the initialization), the second monitor (connected to the 3rd slot) stopped displaying anything at all. It was on, but the computer wasn't sending any information.
What I can take from this, is that the setup works, but something was changed at desktop initialization. I have since then, done a restart, and nothing changed. I can't figure out what's wrong, or how to fix the settings to display both monitors.
How to proceed?
- I have tested each screen separately in the 1st slot, both screens work just fine
- I have tried to discover new monitors in both Windows Screen Resolution and in the Catalyst Control Center, but it keeps displaying "No other monitor has been identified/found"
- I have triple-checked the input source on both monitors. Tested specifying DVI and just letting it be auto
- I have tried using dvi-vga converters, but to no avail. I wasn't expecting it to work either, but I've run out of ideas here...
- Update Connecting the 2nd monitor to the 2nd slot (1st graphics card) also works fine.
After connecting the 2nd monitor to the 2nd slot (assuming it is the 1st graphics card), both screens are operational. I still don't know if they are being rendered on separate GPUs. When identifying GPUs in Catalyst Control Center, it says 1 on the first monitor and 2 respectively. Am I to assume they are using separate GPUs and are being rendered optimally?