Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

All right, I have a machine running Windows 7 that's connecting to the wifi network at my apartment. Unfortunately, they won't give me another access code for the network, and I would like to get my second machine running Ubuntu access to the internet as well. I have a crossover cable, and I've been able to setup filesharing between the two without a problem. Setting up ICS has been another issue. I haven't been able to figure it out at all, and I'm wondering if it's even possible to use a crossover cable for such a job?

I'm thinking just setting up a wired router would be simpler. Would that be true? How difficult would it be to setup a wired router to share internet between Windows 7 and Ubuntu, through the wireless connection Windows 7 is getting?

So to recap:

Wifi connection ----> Windows 7 ----> Wired Router ----> Ubuntu


Wifi connection ----> Windows 7 ----> Crossover cable ----> Ubuntu

Is the second possible or feasible, and if not, how about the first?

share|improve this question

Your crossover cable scenario is how ICS should work. You'll just have to make sure you don't manually assign an IP address to the LAN connection on your Windows machine and let ICS do that for you, i.e. you should enable ICS on your Wireless connection and select the Wired/LAN connection as the destination and the latter's IP address should be changed for you automatically.

A wired router will not help you in this case because the routing must happen on the device that is connected to the external network, i.e. the Windows 7 machine.

share|improve this answer
Thanks, good to know that's the right track to take. – Nate Jan 10 '12 at 20:56

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .