I know this question is related a bit to this here, but I have a more specific aim.
I want to stream videos (in 1080p quality with multiple sound channels) to different devices (iOS, Xbox 360, PS3, Mac's, PC's). I thought about setting up a media server with tversity to do that. It is hard to find home server hardware off the shelve capable of real-time transcoding 1080p content, so I want to store the videos in a format that fulfills these requirements:
- 1080p quality without visible compression loss
- does not need to be transcoded for most of these devices
- Xbox 360
- Mac and PC (with XBMC or VLC player)
- contains sound for different languages (I want to be able to select the language I want hear, most recordings I have support english and german)
- is not extremely huge (that said, most current ts recordings I have are 6 to 8 GB, which would be okay, but not a lot more if possible)
The order of the devices is perhaps important. Videos will mosty be watched using Xbox, PS3 and PC, Macs and iOS is rare, but also possible. So it's more important to be able to watch on Xbox and PS3 without transcoding than on iOS - I guess PC and Mac don't require transcoding at all (please correct if wrong).