Windows 7 activation period
I've got a copy of win7 ultimate which I installed on my newly built PC. 2 Days later, the SSD I was using as a system drive failed.
I've put an old HDD in to run the PC while the SSD is off for repair/replacement - unfortunately, it took me 3 weeks to send it off and I'm not likely to get it back for another 10-14 days.
As I don't intend to keep this installation of Win7, I didn't enter the software key - why waste an activation?
Yesterday, Windows entered reduced functionality mode.
The only chanegs I've noted so far are:
- Windows Update is limited
- Microsoft Security Essentials refuses to update
- I get a very annoying window almost every time I switch between apps
- I see a new dialog when logging in telling me I may be a victim of software piracy
- I get a "This copy of windows is not genuine" on my wallpaper
Does anyone know what else is disabled/crippled? Should I just bite the bullet and activate, then argue with MS over the phone if I can't activate the new installation in 2 weeks time?
If there's nothing else disabled, I may as well live with it until then...