Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If I create multiple buffers on gVim (gnome interface for vim), how do I switch buffer ? Vim doc says it's F8 key but it doesn't work...

Any idea ?

share|improve this question
Possible duplicate: how-do-i-edit-an-existing-buffer-in-a-new-tab-in-vim – user111228 Jan 15 '12 at 17:33
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Switching buffers is done in general with :bp[revious] and :bn[ext] (the part in the brackets being optional). If you don't feel like typing that every time, you can map it to some key, or key combination.

nnoremap <F1> :bp<cr>
nnoremap <F2> :bn<cr>

(feel free to modify to your needs)

If you're thinking about switching between splits, that is done with <C-W> some key, depending on where you want to go. They're all really nicely described in help CTRL-W, but the most commonly used are V and S for splitting, and then C-W C-W (twice) for switching between open splits.

share|improve this answer
Thank you a lot :) – Skydreamer Jan 15 '12 at 19:08

It depends on how you create those multiple buffers. If they are in multiple windows, then you can switch between windows with Ctrl-W Ctrl-W and related commands. See

:help window-move-cursor

If the bvffers are in multiple tabs, you can switch between tabs with gt and related commands. See

:help gt

Using :helpgrep f8 and :helpgrep F8, I don't find any mention in the Vim docs of F8 being used to switch buffers. What Vim docs are you referring to?

share|improve this answer
I create buffers using :split: or :vsplit:. I have found it on a Vim wiki in fact... – Skydreamer Jan 15 '12 at 18:46
In that case you have created new windows, so you can use Ctrl-W Ctrl-W to jump to the next window, or Ctrl-W k to jump to the window above the current one, for example. There is no default mapping for F8, but you could make your own. Perhaps the wiki mentions such a mapping. – garyjohn Jan 15 '12 at 19:05

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.