Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I just stumbled on shift+enter to page-down in vim. I'm wondering if there is something as useful (i.e. easier to reach than ctrl+B) for paging up. I'm looking for something that is already there, not a custom mapping.

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

PageDown and Shift-Down work the same as Ctrl-F, and PageUp and Shift-Up work the same as Ctrl-B. See

:help CTRL-F
:help CTRL-B

You can see all Vim's key bindings at

:help index

To see the help topics containing some keyword, type :help followed by the keyword, followed by Ctrl-D.

share|improve this answer
hrm, Shift-Enter is not mentioned at all in :help index. Unfortunately, PageUp and Shift-Up are even less reachable than just CTRL-F and CTRL-B. I was just hoping there was something as convenient as Shift-Enter for going up a page instead of down a page. Kind of looking like there isn't. – digitaljoel Jan 20 '12 at 23:14
I noticed that Shift-Enter and the equivalent <S-CR> were missing from the documentation, so I sent a note to the vim_user list to find out why. I agree that PageUp and PageDown aren't easy to use, but Ctrl-F, Ctrl-B, Ctrl-E, Ctrl-Y and the rest become easier after you use them for a while. I don't know of anything as easy as Shift-Enter, though. – garyjohn Jan 20 '12 at 23:58
While you answer isn't what I was hoping for, you have still answered my question. Thanks for the efforts. – digitaljoel Jan 21 '12 at 3:16

Ctrl+d will scroll the window down and Ctrl+u up. It might be easier to reach as you avoid the right ctrl.

This is not the same as page-up/down but you can configure it to be using the 'scroll' option.

From the help (for ctrl+d):

Scroll window Downwards in the buffer. The number of lines comes from the 'scroll' option (default: half a screen).

share|improve this answer

Are you looking for Ctrl+F? It's the same that Ctrl+B but in the other direction.

share|improve this answer
nope, was wondering if there was another mapping (like shift+enter that I just happened to accidentally hit and like) that didn't include the right hand ctrl. – digitaljoel Jan 20 '12 at 22:49
@digitaljoel: Ah, ok. No idea without mapping. I will leave the answer until found the correct one to avoid a similar misunderstood and I will delete this post after that. Good luck! – Birei Jan 20 '12 at 23:03

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .