Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I understand you cannot use EAP-TLS for public wifi because the clients will not have their own certificates, therefore what EAP do you use, so that mutual authentication can take place?

share|improve this question
Please define mutual in the context of public Wi-Fi. What are you actually trying to do? – haimg Jan 22 '12 at 22:31

I'm assuming that you want clients to connect with passwords. You want to use either PEAP or EAP-TTLS with MSCHAPv2 as the inner authentication method. You will probably still need to provide clients with a CA certificate to verify the server with.

share|improve this answer

PEAP with MSCHAPv2 is the most compatible. Except Windows desktops, all other devices directly connect and prompt you for the username / password. You don't need a trusted server certificate; it can be self signed.

On Windows, you will need to manually create the connection and disable server certificate trust verification, or get a certificate from a trusted CA. This is not the same trust store as the browser and has a much more limited set of root CAs.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .